True - I never saw one installed however.
Dad's airplane, a Cessna 195, had a Southwind gasoline heater under the
rear seat. It could keep the cabin at short sleeves temps when it was -30°F
outside!
When properly maintained and operated they are safe - not sure how often
that happens in a car though ...

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 6:43 PM Allan Streib via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> The only way those old VWs ever had real heat was if they had the gas
> heater option. This was essentially a small gasoline-fueled furnace used to
> heat the interior. Always seemed like either a carbon monoxide or fire risk
> (or both) to me.
>
> Allan
>

> On Wed, Sep 15, 2021, at 7:32 PM, OK Don via Mercedes wrote:
> > Our '74 Microbus type II had a 2.0 liter FI engine. The one time I had
> > trouble with it, I cleaned every electrical connector I could find in the
> > engine compartment and never had another bit of engine trouble. I finally
> > sold it after too many winter days commuting to work with next to no
> heat
> > and about the same amount of defrost, also because my wife never could
> > master the standard with the hills at stop lights.
> >
> > On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 3:39 PM dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
> > mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > > As I recall, which is a dangerous thing for times so long ago, FI
> didn’t
> > > appear in VWs until the early 70s, and it started in the Super Beetle
> and
> > > Type IV (fastback/squareback/411).
> > >
> > > -D

> had
> > > removed the FI from and installed a carburetor. I gather was a pretty
> > > common home-mechanic approach to dealing with FI problems before
> engines
> > > got so computerized that it was no longer possible.

> > > carbureted but don't know for sure. Pretty cool car, it had rust
> > > perforation by the mid 1970s and they traded it for a Chevy Vega -- a
> > > downgrade IMO.

> after I
> > > yanked the Bosch FI and installed dual carbs. In fairness, the PO had
> > > boogered up the FI somehow and it was beyond my budget at the time to
> > > resolve, so I went the way of dual carbs.

> even
> > > though
> get
> > > a DL
> other
> Squareback.
> > > I love

> fastbacks
> > > when
> > > have a
> > > one that

> > --
> > OK Don
> >
> > "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to
> > pause and reflect." Mark Twain
> >
> > “Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”
> Wernher
> > Von Braun
> > 2013 F150, 18 mpg
> > 2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg