"They probably tried to contract it out to a bulk mailing house, but it
isn't
as simple or cheap to do this as you might think, when you get into
international and that run is actually quite small by bulk mailing
standards."

That is exactly what you do - give it to a competent mailhouse. No
mailhouse that I ever worked with would be sending out mags
via Priority mail.

MBUSA was not running an international mailing - they were distributing
within the US. It is VERY simple. You have the mags shipped from
printer (in Germany) to your US mailhouse and you give the mailhouse
a list. The distribution could have been done by 1 person. You
never even see the mags, except for the leftovers.

I know a bunch of maihouses in KC who would love to get their hands
on a job that size. It is not People or National Geo, but a mailing
is a mailing.

oh well, it's one more periodical I can add to my list of things to
subscribe to after about another year of German lessons.

Chris

Steve MacSween <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: on 5/27/06 4:29 PM, Christopher
McCann at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I'm wondering if MBUSA was loosing money on it because they don't know how to
> mail magazines...
>
> 40,000 is alot of subscribers and even though they are scattered around
> english speaking countries, there are shipping methods (ISAL - International
> Surface Air Lift) which makes international mailings reasonable.

They probably tried to contract it out to a bulk mailing house, but it isn't
as simple or cheap to do this as you might think, when you get into
international and that run is actually quite small by bulk mailing
standards.

The mag is available on (good) newsstands here, but typically arrives quite
late vis. the cover date on the product.

Corporate commitment to magazines of that sort is usually pretty thin, DC is
probably at the top of the charts in that respect, with BMW a distant second
and everyone else way back.

For example, Volvo has had more mags come and go than I've had hot dinners,
as the saying goes. Ford seems have finally caught on that the Big V
heritage is worth pushing, but they did so only after stupid moves such as
cancelling the Volvo race programmes (BTCC, etc.), which had done more for
Volvo's image than a decade of Super Bowl commercials, etc.

Goddamn pencilneck braindead auto industry execs.

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Mac

Christopher McCann, Squier Park, Kansas City, Missouri
-1987 300TD, 245K km, "Rotkäppchen"
-1985 300SD, 343K km, "Wulf"
-1971 Case 222 Hydrive, "One Banger"

"Mercedes Dieselauto - Leistung wird mit dem Kilometerzähler gemessen."
http://mail.yahoo.com