On the ones I worked on, the access port/hole was centered on the bottom of
the mounting flange, covered with a dust plate - access looking to the rear
from the front side. yes, you'll need to lift the engine to get to it, and
be able to rotate the crank to get all the bolts, usually two per ear the
Jim pointed out.

On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 3:18 PM G Mann via Mercedes <mercedes@okiebenz.com>
wrote:

> Correct. Access to those bolts will be on the front side of the starter
> ring / flex plate. Usually there is an opening below the area of the
> starter.
> Likely, you will need to lift the engine up and set it on wood blocks of
> some sort to get access to the area, then turn the engine over by hand
> slowly to get the bolts to line up with the access port, which may be
> covered by a dust cover of some sort.
>

> On Sun, Oct 24, 2021 at 1:12 PM Floyd Thursby via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
>
> > so there are bolts somewhere accessible to get at the flex plate?  I've
> > got the trans and bell housing off, it just slid out, I could not see
> > anything holding the flywheel and the torque conv on unless there are
> > some bolts behind (i.e., to the front of the engine) but I don't see how
> > that would work. I'll study it a bit more and see if there are other
> > hidden bolts somewhere.
> >
> > --FT
> > On 10/24/21 3:41 PM, G Mann via Mercedes wrote:
> > > Second that, Torque converter is bolted to the flex plate, which drives
> > the
> > > transmission, through the torque converter [fluid coupling, or "liquid
> > > clutch"]. With the engine setting flat on the trailer, your access to
> > those
> > > bolts may be restricted.

> the
> > TC
> in

> > > .
> >
> > --
> > --FT

OK Don

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Wernher
Von Braun
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!