From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Kaleb C. Striplin, mobile
Sent: Sunday, May 28, 2006 11:26 PM
To: Mercedes Discussion List
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Coil Spring Compressor

Here is the secret okie method for compressing the springs, use by itself or

as a safety to using the cheap compressor.  Its called the come-a-long
spring compressor.  Basically you get a couple of pairs of come-a-longs and
let the cable out on them, run it down thru the certer hole above the spring

down toward the bottom and hook the hook on the spring.  Hook cable from on
on one side of spring, cable on other side of spring.  If you cant get 2
pairs in there just use one.  You can either use this as a safety while
compressing with a cheap compressor, if just use it by itself.  Crank the
come-a-longs down till you get it compressed enough to get it out, then
slowly let the tension off.  You are doing this from the engine compartment
btw.  I would not stand next to it though in case it does somehow let loose,

but you should be safe is you are above the engine compartment.  I have used

this method a few times on parts cars but never on a car I was putting back
together, so proceed at your own risk.