On my TD I had to ream out the hole some for the compressor shaft to fit in there. It was just a tad (hair, smidgen, shade, gnat's..) too small. A grinder wheel on a drill did it after a few minutes on each side. YMMV. Then go at it with your socket or air wrench. By hand, you will get a good feel for the energy that gets imparted to the compressed spring, cause your arm will let you know. This exercise will provide an indication of why you DO NOT want to do this halfassedly.

--R

John Ervine wrote:

Hendrik Riessen wrote:
Just a question, is it possible to tighten/loosen a proper Merc spring compressor from the top with a socket and extension?

Yes.