To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2006 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Jack Repair

In a message dated 5/28/2006 6:12:30 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

I have an 20-year-old Allied (made in Taiwan) floor jack but it "leaks down" while jacking, even with the valve closed. I suspect that hydraulic fluid is leaking past the o-ring seal on the main piston. Otherwise, it is a nice
heavy-duty 2-ton unit with a pretty high lift capability;  although it is
heavy.

Question: Should I try to repair this or just replace it? If repair, what
are likely sources for replacement  seals?

Even if you could find parts for that jack, they would not sell them
directly to you because of liability problems. You would have to send the pump into them, or buy a rebuilt exchange. The cost would surely exceed the very nice
jacks available at Costco and Sam's Club, for about  $70.

I had a very nice old name brand jack and spent several hours doing the
parts chase thing. I ended up scrapping the thing for the 1/2" steel side plates
and stuff.

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ