andrew strasfogel wrote:
Does anyone know what the symptoms are for one bad glow plug out of five?
Do they go bad gradually or do they just wake up dead one morning?

I don't understand the question. When a plug goes bad the resistance usually increase some to a lot.

A set of glow plugs in an engine that has after start glow function doesn't last as long as they do in older cars. 90-150kmi would be good life for an engine with 15-30 second after glow. The later engines with up to 180 second after glow are likely to fail after 60-100kmi depending on how many miles per cold start.

If you think the plugs are all original and you have more than 100kmi on them, I'd CHANGE them all and keep the good ones as spares.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)