"car is $2900 cash firm, no negotiating or offers"

Doesn't seem like there's a point to the question.

I can imagine "worst case" is a total failure of all the components of the ABS,
it all needs to be replaced, the cost of which probably exceeds the asking
price of the car.

The question is, is the car worth $2,900 to you assuming the ABS doesn't work.

People pay more than that for W115s, W123s that never had ABS.

Allan