The small chain I worked for started in 1938.  They shut down a bunch of stores about 5 years ago and sold the rest.  The new owners sold off others but still retain a few which they renamed. They did keep I believe 3-4 stores with the original name, I guess to keep the 1938 claim.  Anyway, yes it was great because we could control what we stocked.