tom savage wrote:
Marshall Booth wrote:

The earlier 722.3 transmissions will work on '85 cars, but the '85 722.3 transmission won't fit onto an earlier car/engine. I'm NOT sure about the 722.416 transmissions from '85 California certified 300D/TD/CD/SDs, but they do have a high stall speed torque converters and the earlier transmissions with a torque converter with much lower stall speed would make the car feel REALLY sluggish and slow at low speeds.

Thanks Marshall; glad to see that I had the early/85 interchange backwards. I forgot about the stall speed change. Wonder if the later TC can be mated to an earlier transmission?

People have tried everything in the world to use the later transmission or torque converter on earlier engines but they can't be easily modified (even by really experienced/creative mechanics).

There are not a lot of '85 722.416 transmissions floating around.

Especially here in the midwest, alas.

Tom

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)