The issue is not the lights per se (although the lighting nanny will not like the extra power draw and will want to tell you there are various faults if you plug stuff directly into the light circuits). For my 163 ML I got this thing that basically sees the voltage going to the various tail lights (via some of those clamp-on connectors) then sends power to the trailer lights through separate power so it is not in the nanny circuits.  I'm sure there is a similar item for whatever flavor his ML is.

The biggest issue is that the brake and stability control sensors will feel the trailer back there and the nannies will go insane trying to compensate for it.  That is why you need to get the towing nanny and get it working in the overall system.  The 163 does not have this "feature" so it is kinda indifferent to the hitch and load, other than the lights.

--FT