I'm pretty sure (though not certain) that is not the case in Indiana. There is
no emissions testing for one thing, so not sure why they would care.

I've never been stopped from registering or renewing registration on a car due
to outstanding recalls.

I suppose you could always have the recall done, then buy an aftermarket tune
to get the power back?