Also check the exhaust for obstructions, there is usually a spark/flame
arrester in the muffler that will carbon up and prevent proper running.

I nearly killed myself trying  to start a weed eater my brother gave me, would
start and run a few seconds and then stop.  Cleaned the carb, fresh fuel, check
the spark, etc.

Turned out to be a mud dauber nest in the exhaust, which on that weedeater is
exactly the side they like.   Poked that out and it ran like a champ….