Price is a touch high, but not out of range compared to other comparable sales
I’ve seen.

Yes, you must remove the plastic cover over the cylinder head to see the
effects of the “Black Death” condition, if it exists. It will be obvious if
affected. Look around the base of each injector for a buildup of black crud,
which is burned oil and fuel that’s slipped by the injector. This is caused by
the sealing ring at the base of the injector failing and allowing combustion
products to leak out of the cylinder. At the very beginning, it appears as
bubbling around the base of the injector and gradually worsens over time.
Really bad examples can have the whole cylinder head area completely filled
with the black crap that has to be literally chipped away to get to the
injectors and head.

Repair is not fun and will require some special tools, like an injector puller,
but they’re not terribly expensive. It does have some risk, however, as the
hold down bolts can be run in too far and puncture the water jacket.

I’ve done it and I don’t ever want to do it again.

-D

Sent from my iPad