Just for clarification, I have no problem at all with nurse practitioners or
physicians assistants, and I think your points are well taken in that regard.
My gripe with our soon to be former practice was that we were assigned to and
worked with a doctor for our care. When our doctor left we were no longer
assigned to a doctor, but an APRN. Understand that if we wanted to see our
doctor it took some time to get in, but for immediate care we saw an APRN or PA
within 24-48 hours - who would consult with our doctor about our care, if
necessary.

And I also agree with your point about self-care.

-D