On 2022-09-18 10:52, dan penoff.com via Mercedes wrote:
You could probably do a basement where I live in FL, the issues are
more dealing with the ground during construction (sand) and keeping it
dry, that is, having a reliable system to keep water out of it.I don’t
think the water table is that high where I live, but with daily rains
this time of year you would need to have a good drainage system and
pump(s) to keep the water away. A poured foundation and walls would
probably help, too. I also wonder what sort of issues there would be
when the ground gets saturated like when a hurricane comes through -
would it make the basement want to lift (float) out of the ground?

Yeah, in coastal Florida, even if your sump pumps were adequate, what would the hydraulic pressure do in a flood?
In Michigan, a home where the sump pump runs constantly is troublesome.
If the pump fails, you get a flooded basement within hours.
When we lived in Dewitt, my older brother had a basement bedroom. And there was an underground river running through our yard, so we had the worst water table in the neighborhood and constant septic system problems until the sewer project came through. Dad was more than happy to pay our share for the sewer hookup. Imagine getting out of bed and finding yourself in ankle deep cold water because the sump pump died.