Basements are not common around here due the the high water table and the soil
is too moist. It also goes from one extreme to the other in that it can be real
dry then real wet. This causes foundations to move slightly. Both of our houses
are in crawls but depending on how wet or dry it is, I can detect slight
variations in how various doors open and close. I might have a door that
slightly drags the frame when opening or closing and other times does not. Most
houses around here these days are built on slabs. These often crack and require
major repair involving piers.

Sent from my iPhone