To: "Mercedes Discussion List" <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 3:40 PM
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Tell why not to buy a 140.

When I had my 93 300SE, I did ALL of the maintenance and repairs on it.
 Not that big of a deal really.  Computers have nothing to do with the
shocks on them, they are just plain old shocks.  You must be thinking
about the newer chassis with that air suspension stuff on it.

LarryT wrote:

Hi Don,
IMHO, I think the only way to buy something like a W140 is to go in thinking it's a "throw-away" kind of car - as long as it's supported by the purchase
price - you gotta get a "deal".

to explain a little more of what I mean -- if you go into it knowing a
service (most likely done at the dealer) might cost $5000 - $10000 for an
extreme situation (perhaps)  - in which case you'll be forced to make a
decision of whether to keep the car & spend the money - and wonder what
might break next - or sell it for what might be a 'song' - or part it out on
eBay.  Bear in mind, even something seemingly as basic as the shocks have
computerized functions. I don't recall what the total number of computers
in a typical W140 is, but IIRC it's in the dozens.

Also - you'll likely be unable to do *any* maintanence yourself - without
the computer equipment to diagnose and analyse what might be a simple
problem on a lesser car.  And the cost of that equipment is extremely
expensive - putting it out of reach for many  & requiring even a
knowledgable indy to use a certain amount of guesswork when diagnosing a
problem.

It's sad to think of these amazing cars slowly (or not so slowly)
disappearing behind the fences of local recycling centers - especially when
purchased by someone with "shallow pockets" who has not taken the time to
learn about the pitfalls.

The other side of the coin is the possibility of  finding a real gem -
buying it for a great price and putting 60K miles or more on it without
spending any major money on  it.  I'm sure this is happening out there in
the real world - but finding that gem will take some luck, talent and
persistance.  After all, they were engineered like few (maybe *no*) other
vehicles.

Good luck in your seach - BTW, if you find more than one let me know ! <LOL>

Larry T (67 MGB, 74 911, 78 240D, 91 300D)
----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Snook" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>