The shimmy deal was on the first 2 years only, and those would have been fixed LONG ago under recall

John M McIntosh wrote:
if you buy a 98 or 99 which has the latest engineering changes etc, and set aside oh say $10,000 to repair anything, or everything, then I think that should be your target expectations. This may seem a lot but given some of the prices for the car now it becomes an interesting idea. Unless of course you can encounter a seller who's paid to repair/ replace/fix everything, and is
selling and eating the repair costs and depreciation.

w140 cars pre the 94/95 facelift may have issue with front end shimmy that are difficult or impossible to fix, post facelift the suspension was lowered slightly and the problem *seem* to be solved. I'd suggest avoiding the earlier models just because of this engineering issue.

For me, after replacing everything related to wear parts in the 500SEL front end end it seemed to get rid of shimmy, mind If one really looks for it, I think it's still there, just being held in check
with all new wear parts.

Oh, and you'll think nothing of driving from Seattle to San Jose in it, extremely nice to drive, and the rumbling of the V8 in my driveway lane at night when getting my driveway gate open is *nice* to hear...
My wife tells me this is a "guy" thing.

PS If you want a S600, mmm set aside $20K to repair it, that number could be low.