Seems to me that if the smoke has already escaped then oiling the bearings won't replace it.

MG

David Bruckmann via Mercedes wrote:
I'm finally addressing the ventilation system on my W108 280SEL 4.5.

Months ago the fan stopped, with resultant stream of smoke. Today I removed
the cowl and cabin filters (ordered new ones from MB) and reached in to
turn the motor. It is VERY stiff, but less so now. Drenched it in ATF and
will let it sit.

While I'm at it, years ago I ordered new control levers and this seems like
the right time to install them so that I can actually regulate the fan
speed, for example.

So I followed Jaime's excellent instructions and I am now at the
"disconnecting" stage. Is there any advice apart from not losing clips and
so on? I'm guessing the castellated washers or whatever they're called that
grip the shaft are simply something one squeezes to release, or am I in for
a struggle?

Thanks in advance,

D.