On Fri, 6 Jan 2023 16:47:32 -0500 Buggered Benzmail via Mercedes
<mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> I got from a friend one of those little lead acid batteries for an
> alarm system. It’s showing 3V. I was thinking to put one of these
> things on it to see if it would charge up but I don’t want to blow it
> up or anything.

What is the ampere-hour capacity of your little lead acid battery?

Do you have a 12117TC?

The current out of the 12117TC is 1 Ampere, so if your battery capacity
is 1 AHr or more, you should have no problems.

Unfortunately, the minimum voltage needed for the 12117TC to turn on is
10.5 VDC. You will have to charge the battery (perhaps through a car
turn-signal bulb) to get it up to 10.5 VDC before the 12117TC will take
over. Once you have that going, you can leave the 12117TC on the little
battery forever. According to the technical guy at VDC Electronics, it
will take 2 - 4 weeks to recover the battery.

The 10.5 VDC minimum threshold for the 12117TC is why I also have a 1510,
for which the minimum threshold is 3.0 VDC.

Craig