Uh, well, if the compressor is not kicking in, then how do you know what the pressure is? The low side will be high when the thing is not running because it will be equalized with the high side.

Levi Smith wrote:

OK, so my 83' 300D didn't have any R134 left in it when I tried it this
spring.  I put in a few cans and it was working about as well as last year
(it provides SOME cooling at highway speeds).  Then it wasn't working again
a week or so ago.  I figured it had leaked out again, so I figured I would
try one more time and see if it still leaked out.

Well, I put my gauge (cheapy low side only) on and it hissed at me and the
gauge read way up into the danger zone (70-90psi maybe?)  but the compressor
clutch wasn't engaging...

I tried letting some pressure out thinking maybe it was too much pressure,
but it seemed as though basically I could let the pressure to the "normal"
level, and then it would almost immediately build back up to the danger
pressure.  I'm assuming perhaps this is just the way it works when going
through the expansion valve without the compressor running?  Or is this a
sign of some other problem?

What else should I look for to get the compressor clutch engaging?
How likely is it that the clutch itself is dead?
Should I try applying 12v to the clutch terminals and be able to see it
engage?  (preferably without the engine spinning).
The blower fan is still working, so I'm assuming there's no fuse issue
concerning the clutch...

Thanks!
Levi