Curt Raymond wrote:
Is that all? I'd hoped for better since I'd been thinking of building one someday. My 240D would average around 28mpg but that was almost exclusively highway driving 80-90 miles a day. My 190D is averaging only a little better at around 32mpg but that includes so bad tanks while it was leaking fuel dragging the average down. I've only just gotten myself out of the habit of driving with the pedal to the floor which in most cases the 190D doesn't need. I'm also trying to decrease my average speed which should increase mileage. -Curt

Is your 190D an automatic? 32 is really quite poor unless it all city driving. I ALWAYS drive my 190D 2.x s (5 spd or auto) with the pedal to the floor!! That make remarkably little difference. Highway speeds much above 60 will lower mileage, but on the highway my auto always did better than 35 and the 5 spds better than 38.. It took a year or more (20+kmi) after I switched to synthetic oil before they got there though! Had to blow out all the crud that was left from the previous owners I guess.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)