  Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2006 16:28:40 -0400
From: Marshall Booth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [MBZ] **wiring harness on the W140 Diesel **
To: Mercedes Discussion List <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>

Curt Raymond wrote:
> Is that all? I'd hoped for better since I'd been thinking of building
one someday. My 240D would average around 28mpg but that was almost
exclusively highway driving 80-90 miles a day.

>   My 190D is averaging only a little better at around 32mpg but that
includes so bad tanks while it was leaking fuel dragging the average
down. I've only just gotten myself out of the habit of driving with the
pedal to the floor which in most cases the 190D doesn't need. I'm also
trying to decrease my average speed which should increase mileage.

>   -Curt

Is your 190D an automatic? 32 is really quite poor unless it all city
driving. I ALWAYS drive my 190D 2.x s (5 spd or auto) with the pedal to
the floor!! That make remarkably little difference. Highway speeds much
above 60 will lower mileage, but on the highway my auto always did
better than 35 and the 5 spds better than 38.. It took a year or more
(20+kmi) after I switched to synthetic oil before they got there
though!
Had to blow out all the crud that was left from the previous owners I
guess.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84
190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)

---------------------------------
From [EMAIL PROTECTED] Thu Jun 22 14:09:14 2006
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2006 10:09:01 EDT
To: mercedes@okiebenz.com
Subject: Re: [MBZ] A/C problem on 126

In a message dated 6/22/2006 6:21:47 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

The air  is not really getting warmer and I can still hear the blower
motor running,  but I am not getting good flow from the center vents.
The symptom has not  repeated itself in over a week.  Perhaps it was just
too hot and I was  pushing it too hard.

Donald,

This is purely a vacuum storage problem, could even be normal if your time
on the hill exceeds the volume of vacuum storage.  Gas engines do not  create
much vacuum with the throttle open like you are likely to have it on the  hill.
 The AC ducting default is defrost with no vacuum, so you will feel  the air
discharge moving to the defrost outlets.  I think it is a two stage  actuator
so it may not shift 100% to defrost in the condition you  describe.  A small
vacuum leak in the storage circuit could shorten your  time vs low vacuum hill
climb window.  My 79's vacuum tank had a couple pin  hole leaks that I found
with air pressure, then plugged with epoxy.

Further loss of vacuum might shut off the AC system entirely, as there is a
vacuum switch in the normal AC control circuit.  Defrost bypasses the  vacuum
switch for safety reasons.
But even at WOT, a gas engine should produce 3-5 inches Hg vacuum, about  the
setting of the vacuum switch.

Down shifting will bring the vacuum up some so you have to decide what you
can live with!

Regards,

Jim  Friesen
Phoenix AZ