The engine was certainly at high revs.  I was making this trip at 80-85
mph. This car has the 103 engine and the 126 (SEL) is a big heavy car,
so at that speed I am always approaching 4000 rpm.  I don't recall
whether the transmission had kicked down, but I assume that it had
because I was climbing a steep hill.

If _you_ floored it the kickdown switch (on that model) could have
turned off the AC compressor.  But that doesn't affect how the blower
and vents work.  If anything the fan speed will _increase_ as it
starts blowing vent air, assuming it's warm out and the cabin tends
to get too hot without AC.  That's what our SDL does.

But if the tranny downshifted by itself that mechanism isn't operative.

-- Jim