With the battery disconnected I popped the airbag and switches off of the
steering wheel. I think it took me all of maybe 5 minutes, if that. If you
don’t have one, bite the bullet and buy a Mercedes 126589001000, screwdriver
bit. This is the one and only tool that allows you to consistently connect up
with those Torx screws that hold the airbags on the steering wheel. It hits the
target every time and makes removal of the airbag a real piece of cake.

One of the screws holding the switches on was seized in the brass barrel that
was molded into the plastic. I ended up breaking it off the plastic so I could
get at the brass barrel with a pliers while turning the screw out. No damage,
looks like the very tip of the screw had been cross threaded.

Powered back up and got everything reset. Ran a DAS quick check to follow up.
Checkmarks in almost every section, a few little “fs” being known issues.

I went to the rear SAM which is what controls the taillights. I turned the
brake lights on using an activation in the SAM. Left rear is there, right rear
is not. Tracked power on the left side to see where it flowed on the metal bits
of the taillight assembly. Did the same on the right side. Nada. I’ll have to
go through the "list ‘o’ fuses” to rule out a blown fuse. After that I’ll need
to start tracing wires or pull the taillight assembly and see if the LED
assembly is bad and could be dragging the circuit down. The LED boards are
replaceable, thank goodness!

Not getting the “window drop” on the right door. I’ve synched the windows and
all, but no difference. The soft close feature does not work on the right door,
either. Probably a microswitch issue on the door latch. A future project, for
sure.

Otherwise, everything went well, no surprises. Covered it and called it a day.

-D