Exactly this.

I’ve done this on several occasions, not every one being successful. If not,
chalk it up to experience and hope that you get a call in 2-3 weeks when the
seller has given up hope of getting rid of it.

When I’ve done this, I usually spend a fair amount of time going over the car
and afterwards sharing my findings with the seller. If they’re better educated
they’re far more likely to give you a shot at the car in my opinion. I’ve had
more than my fair share of situations where i’ve gotten out of the car and seen
the seller’s car knowing I have no interest, but at that point I tell the
seller right away it’s not a car I'm interested in but I still follow through
with going over the car (unless the seller isn’t interested) and giving them
some feedback on what I see.

Yeah, I’ve now invested the time and effort to go see the car, so I might as
well have a look just to learn more about the car (in general.)

I’ve had a few instances where the car is a beater and it wasn’t worth the time
to go over it, so I don’t offer, I’ll just chat the seller up a little and
offer any suggestions I can think of if they seem receptive.

-D