Went out to Lowe’s to buy some landscaping stuff for the yard. Backed into the
driveway to unload. Got back in the ML550 when I was done, hit the start button
and got a medium pitched squealing/grinding noise. Ran the Chinese scanner on
it and found nothing. Did a “listen” test while oldest son hit the button and
it’s definitely coming from the starter.

Almost nothing about this on the Internets. I found a few references to the
W164 V8 starter in online forums, but nothing of substance. There is a YouTube
video of the job but it’s potato cam stuff and the guy is a hack in that he
took a Sawzall to the exhaust.

I’ve got to fire up my computer with the WIS, but it appears that the exhaust
has to come off to access the starter. I’m hoping that’s not the case, as this
isn’t the sort of work I want to be doing in the middle of the driveway…

On the positive side, at least it puked in the driveway!

-D