Jack up the car, high enough to gain access to the starter, [use
jackstands so you can get under it safely... Once in position, give the
starter a good smack with a good size hammer.. Then try engaging starter
again..
If the starter bendix hangs [and they do] it will fail to extend far enough
to engage the flywheel ring gear, and since the gears don't engage, give a
gear grinding noise...
If, after the hammer whack, you get engagement, move the car to where you
want to work on it, to remove the starter and repair the bendix [clean and
lube with never seize so bendix moves freely.. or replace with rebuild,,
your call...