> I’m surprised the “electronic fuse” in the SAM didn’t cut it off - if that’s
> how they protected the circuit. Otherwise I would have expected a fuse to
> blow.

Starters are un-fused.  I think they always have been.
Something about it being difficult to put a fuse on something
that draws 1000A+ (briefly) and settles down to 200-400A
during normal operation.

If the starter was being fed by Grand Coulee Dam, you'd still
need a fuse.  But the battery feeding it will exhaust itself before
it could catch the starter wiring on fire, so the primary purpose
of a fuse is unnecessary.

Also, depending on exactly what/where the shorts are, starter
current merely goes up, as does internal heat generation, while
starting torque goes down.

And, if the shorts were causing the starter pinion to not engage,
the massive current normally induced by the torque load on the
motor is not there, so the starter's drawing much LESS current
than normal.  So, no fuse action even if there was one.

So, attempts to make it smarter, in this case, are likely to be
counterproductive.  As my boss is fond of saying:  "IBM".
(It's Better Manually.)  Don't try to automate stuff that doesn't
really need it.  In the case of a starter, it's pretty simple:  Does
it crank?  If not, fix it.  The diagnostic process is simple, just
one current test and a couple of voltage checks and you have
your culprit identified.

-- Jim