What Dan and Allen said - I gave up on Diesel cars - they just don't make
sense any more. Trucks carrying/pulling a load? Yes. A bunch of short
trips, no. After the Diesel Passat, I realized I bought the Diesel on
emotions, not logic.
That having been said, of the two options you gave, I'd choose well
maintained over lower miles, especially given that you drive almost as
little as we do. You are very unlikely to wear either of them out.

On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 1:08 PM dan penoff.com via Mercedes <
mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:

> All good points, Allan.
>
> The days of diesels being more economical when it comes to cars is pretty
> much gone. Sure, there are the smaller VWs, for example, like Curt’s that
> get really good mileage, but the more modern diesels won’t, and the cost of
> diesel fuel isn’t likely to drop below gasoline again, I think.
>
> If you were doing a “Marshall” and driving the length of PA weekly it
> might make sense, but otherwise, it’s nothing more than a personal
> preference. There’s no net gain from it, in fact, it might be more costly
> for a number of reasons, which was Allan’s point.
>
> -D
>
> > On May 20, 2023, at 2:00 PM, Allan Streib via Mercedes <
> mercedes@okiebenz.com> wrote:
> >
> > 217k is getting up there not so much for a well-maintained diesel engine
> but for the transmission and all the other moving/rotating parts in the
> car. Wheel bearings, suspension bushings, fluid pumps, etc. Despite the
> best maintenance, stuff wears out eventually.
> >
> > I'll be honest, neither of these sounds like a great deal to me but
> you're well above my budget for what I'd spend on a car so my opinion is
> just that, an opinion.
> >
> > Are you dead-set on a diesel? For an SUV you'll have a lot more options
> and lower prices with a gasoline model. If you're driving 6000 miles/yr
> that isn't great for a diesel either, unless those miles are a small number
> of long trips.
> >
> > Gas is cheaper than diesel anyway these days and has fewer maintenance
> concerns.
> >

> > On Sat, May 20, 2023, at 10:48, Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes wrote:
> >> *If your mechanic says the high mileage car is crap, why bother?*
> >> Au contraire.  Mechanic did a PPI and found nothing needs attention.  He
> >> said that the extensive dealer service records show that the owner
> >> maintained everything by the book when driving 217k miles (25 k mpy).
> The
> >> underlying "issue" is how many well maintained miles can an ML 350
> bluetec
> >> last before the engine or transmission fails?

> but
> That

> already

> be
> records"
> was

> One

> previous
> the

OK Don

"Quality of life is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing you
are wearing."

pause and reflect." Mark Twain

“Basic research is what I’m doing when I don’t know what I am doing.”  Werner
Von Braun

"In science if you know what you are doing you should not be doing it.
In engineering if you do not know what you are doing you should not be
doing it."
        -- Richard W. Hamming, The Art of Doing Science and Engineering
2013 F150, 18 mpg
2017 Subaru Legacy, 30 mpg
1957 C182A, 12 mpg - but at 150 mph!