The 642 is a complicated engine but a good engine. Problem area is oil cooler
seal leaks. If it’s been done you should be good. Timing chain stretch can be
an issue also usually related to the gasoline rated oil they spec for it in
order to protect the DPF. I prefer to use a real diesel rated synthetic such as
Rotella t6 or similar. This will protect the engine but a small possibility of
plugging up the DPF. If it does they can be removed and cleaned out, or removed
and tuned out.  Also, I would look for a 07 or 08. 09 and later would have DEF
and more issues to deal with.

Sent from my iPhone