Instead of arbitrarily changing the oil, send a sample to Larry, and
findout what condition it's in. He'll even report the hot viscosity.

On 6/26/06, LT Don <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
You are an engineer, aren't you?  I can smell them -- my son is one.

On 6/26/06, Peter Frederick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Actually, viscosity ratings are more complicated.  In the old days, you
> have an oil of a particular viscosity (actually flow rate at a certain
> temperature).  Petroleum based oils have a significant change of
> viscosity with change in temperature character -- when hot, they get
> VERY thin.  When cold, of course, they aquire the flow characteristics
> of molassas, what ever the room temperature viscosity.
>
> The solution was to add materials that didn't change viscosity so much,
> so that an oil mixture would have "multi-viscosity" characteristics --
> that is, flow like say a 10 wt oil cold and a 30 wt oil hot.  The
> rating is cold viscosity rating number first, followed by hot viscosity
> rating, so a 10W-40 oil flows like a single rating 10W oil cold and
> like a single rating 40W hot.
>
> The base fluid used in synthetic oils doesn't change viscosity with
> temperature nearly as much as petroleum base oils, and in fact is
> fairly hard to rate using methods for petroleum base oils.  0W-30
> synthetic oil pours like cold diesel fuel, but I'd not want to use
> diesel fuel as an engine oil -- wouldn't stay in the engine!
>
> The smaller molecules will likely burn off first, since they are more
> volatile, but I suspect there really aren't that many in synthetic oil.
>   The majority of oil consumption in a good condition engine is burnoff
> from the cylinder walls as they are exposed during combustion, along
> with whatever amount burns off the valves from clearance on the stems.
> Synthetics are very resistant to oxidation (remember the frying pan on
> the grill ads?)  so they don't burn off the cylinder walls, and the
> molecules are fairly large so they won't evaporate.  No modern oil has
> components light enough to actually vaporize, I would venture -- they
> would also carbonize too easily, leading to excessive sludge.
>
> What the viscosity of a mixture is would be hard to determine without
> actually testing it, and I suspect what you would have would be xxW-50
> -- the viscosity "extenders" would work their magic more at the hot end
> than the cold end.
>
> Fun stuff, eh?  No wonder oil threads go on forever!
>
> Peter

"There're always enemies, George. Jesus had enemies."
-- Tom Clancy, _Executive Orders_

1977 240D
1983 VW Quantum turbo diesel 5-speed
1972 Honda CB-500K motorcycle