On 2023-07-07 15:22, Andrew Strasfogel via Mercedes wrote:
A 2015-2016 Nissan Leaf in good condition, low miles, and a 80-ish mile range can be found around here for about $10k. Would suit 90 percent of my
driving trips just fine.
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/125458cd-5f14-4c0c-ba00-9ce575bb35a1/

A Leaf feels kind of peppy because of the instant throttle response, but in reality it's slower than my Plymouth Horizon from 0-60. The short lived Chevy Spark would keep the tires on the edge of wheelspin from 0-40, and 0-60 times were slightly quicker than my 2.3-16v. The Spark was the prototype for the Bolt, which has much more battery and does 0-60 in the six second range.

6-7 years ago I could have bought a 2013-2015 Leaf with around 10-15kmi for about $10k. I remember a dealer in Wisconsin advertising a buyback 2015 Spark for $9k. Probably bought back because the owner decided they didn't like EVs after they bought it. GM remembered the diesel fiasco of the 1980s and did not want unhappy EV owners badmouthing their EVs. Now I wish I'd bought a 5kmi Spark for $9k, and could now sell a 50kmi Spark for $9k before rust or battery life became an issue.

IMO the Spark was the only converted EV ever made that was worth owning. Even thought it didn't have a purpose built chassis, the drivetrain was state of the art at the time. The Leaf was a better transportation appliance/tool, but the Spark's motor would put a smile on your face.

Most other EV drivetrains of the previous decade were not spectacular (Leaf) or spectacularly craptastic (Fiat 500, Ford Focus, Honda Fit).