That's too bad.  I wonder if it has anything to do with it being a
"portable" 'scope -- it may have been knocked around some, in its
previous life.

Hard to say.  The price was right, at the time.  Is definitely superior
to the Griefkit, when it works.  I have it buried in the bench as a
bench scope, the plan was always to put a 2465 there and make the 2336
portable again for general troubleshooting.  But 2465's stink, so now
I don't know what I'll do.

700-series mainframes?

Probably.  Was that the one with the vector-drawn on-screen display for
sweep and vertical amplifier settings?  I remember that being pretty
cool when it worked, but the chip that drove it seemed to be prone to
failure.

Yeah, that's what I recall.  Might be 7000-series.

-- Jim