I forgot, is this the E300?
Do those things have piston cooling jets?
Seems like 1995 was not a turbo year.
If a cooling jet fell off, I wonder how much
oil pressure would escape from the hole?

Another possibility (on any engine) is loss of
an oil galley plug. Happened to my Dad's 1973
Ford P/U, he left it idling for half an hour and
when he returned it was making an awful clatter.
He paid $$ hundreds in labor to replace a $3 part.
Ford was not interested in a policy adjustment
for an engine defect on a six year old truck. Dad
hasn't bought a Ford since, and never will. I was
amazed the engine still seemed to run normally after
that.

Mitch.