For both the W123 300D and the W116 300SD all the "amplifiers" have failed and
the 300SD of course has the Chrysler ACC and that has never worked as long as I
owned the car.

The mechanical stuff works. The electronic stuff is all dead. Follows Leno's
observations about cars. Electronics don't last, and more and more they are not
build from discrete components so they really aren't repairable.

I predict that you'll never see 40 year old EVs on the road like you do 40 year
old W123s.