A friend said her little JD lawn tractor battery kept dying and it wouldn't start.  I went by and put the charger on it for a few minutes at 30A and got it to start up on about half a spin.  I measured the voltage with it running and it was at 11V but I had neglected to measure the battery before I put the charger on it so I don't know what it was.

She mowed the yard and then tried to start it again after finishing and it wouldn't do anything so the battery was completely drained.  I will probably try to charge the battery up fully on a low charge rate my newer charger will do and see if it will come up to a full charge.  She did say she had used some sort of little charger and kept it plugged in, but at some point got a divorce and it might have walked off with the ex, in any case she didn't still have it.  Having had to use that suggests either there was some sort of current draw at rest, or that the alternator isn't alternating.  The ex had disconnected the front lights to make sure they didn't draw it down and there was some other connector that was not, I didn't try to track that down.

I was also looking at the parts diagram and it shows a little alternator on the engine somewhere and a voltage regulator.  I don't have a tester to see if it is actually putting out voltage/current other than a VOM which showed the 11V.  Maybe I should charge the battery then see what it is while running on a full battery.

https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sidebyside/equipment/67736/referrer/navigation/pgId/489092846

I'm thinking it might be either the alternator or the VR if the battery is OK but she doesn't have a lot of money to start throwing at parts.  The VR is $18 on ebay so maybe worth getting one of those and trying it? The alternator is like $100 so don't want to do that for now.

Thoughts?

--
--FT