This.

If you have a modern distribution panel, there’s a good chance the manufacturer
offers an interlock plate for it. You might have to move some breakers around
to accommodate it, but think of it as a sliding metal “door’ or “flag” that
when one breaker is closed, the trip handle is pushing against the interlock
plate, whose other edge is against the trip handle of the breaker that’s
opposite it, preventing it from closing.

That or just buy a smaller distribution panel for the circuits you want to feed
off the generator and use the interlock plate to control that breaker. That way
there’s no chance you’ll overload the generator - feeding the whole house means
you have to shut off all the non-emergency circuits, which may not be easy to
do.

Backfeeding is potentially dangerous for all of the obvious reasons. I don’t
recommend doing it unless you have a qualified electrical contractor design and
install the setup. A lot of people do it by just opening breakers, and that’s
inherently dangerous. You don’t want to see the results of backfeeding a
distribution system, or, even worse, the utility feeding into a small generator.

In generator engineering and design terms, we always referred to the utility as
an “infinite bus”. As in, you will get as much power as it can give you - until
something fails. Which usually occurs spectacularly. Under these circumstances,
that is a Bad Thing.

-D