Sunil Hari wrote:
I pulled into my driveway on Friday, and as I pulled in I noticed the smell
of ATF.  After parking, I looked under the car and it was not leaking.  I
started my car today, put it into reverse, and .... no motion.

I revved the engine a little, and it started moving.  I backed out of the
drive with a lot of revving, and it just felt like the transmission wasn't
engaging.  I pulled back into my spot, and where I turned the car I noticed
a droplet trail of ATF.  I was in a rush and switched cars without getting
under the car.

What's the most likely source of the leak?  Is it something I can fix with
my limited tools and knowledge?

If it's a big leak the most common cause is from the pan bolts being overtightened (deforming the pan) and the gasket will no longer seal and may split. With older transmissions (15+ years old) the valve that prevents fluid in the torque converter may leak and allow it to drain back into the pan. The pan can't hold this additional couple of liters of fluid and so will overflow out the top vent. This usually takes several days to leak down so if you drive the car daily it's seldom a problem. There are several other seals that can leak and of course there is the front pump seal that commonly fails in 15-20 year old 722.3 series transmissions. The transmission MUST be pulled to service the front pump seal.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)