Sunil Hari wrote:
I changed the fluid and filter a few months ago and have driven 500+ miles
since then without incident.  And this transmission was installed new at
200Kmi, and now it has 288Kmi.  Time to tow it in.

I have seen transmission gaskets that have been overtightened, fail many thousands of miles after they were installed and suddenly start dumping fluid. There are of course other things that could have failed as well.

Marshall
'87 300TD 182Kmi, '85 190D 2.0 161Kmi, '87 190D 2.5 turbo 237kmi, '84 190D 2.2 229Kmi (retired)