rumor has it that Jeff wrote:

> I think the biggest point of the matter is...WHY DOES THE USA HAVE TO
> COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW RATHER THAN USING THE STANDARDS ALREADY IN
> EFFECT IN THE REST OF THE WORLD?  Why must we always do things OUR
> way?  Maybe its just vanity or just plain stubborn but it makes no
> sense at all to me. Seems way cheaper and easier to copy what already
> works.
>
> Mike

I think the United States of America is a great country. I have seem
many others, I'm glad this is home.

But I do agree, Mike.

The first set of world standards to adopt should be ... the SI. Back
in the 70's there was a half-hearted, limp-wristed attempt to
"convert", but while we led the world with a decimal currency, we
can't seem to scrape together enough common sense to dump the silly
inch, foot, pound, gallons, ounce mess for something that is sensible
and easy to use!

Until we do that, I think there is _no_ hope for our country to even
understand what the standards are!!

A good site is:
http://lamar.colostate.edu/~hillger/

--   Philip, an fan of the SI