From: John Ingram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: New MBZ List <Mercedes@okiebenz.com>
Sent: Fri, 7 Jul 2006 00:36:20 -0400
Subject: Re: [MBZ] Teflon Tape (Explained)

Mike, Levi, Dave, Marshall, Tom, Rich, Jeff, and Harry-
     Thank you all for your very good replies to my question about
teflon tape.  The fuel leak is at the fuel filter center bolt (hollow
bolt) that holds the large fuel filter on.  The little "O" ring on
this bolt is causing the problem.   Since I just switched engines and
the old engine is still sitting there I looked at the bolt on that
housing and discovered that it was slightly different and had two "O"
rings.   This would work fine since it never leaked on that engine,
however, It won't fit in the other housing.  I would switch the whole
housing but one of the 6mm hex bolts holding the housing in place on
the engine in the car is stripped (by me), the 6mm hex is now a 6.5mm
round hole.   I could switch the brace that holds the power steering
pump and the fuel filter housing etc., but it would be much easier if
I could get that bolt out.  Does anyone know how to get that stripped
bolt out?
      My short answer is that I am so glad to have this car running
again (running very well) that I just want to drive It  and was
trying to find an easy fix.  I will not use teflon tape because of
the risks you all pointed out.  I will look it over again tomorrow.
I will also get a new "O" ring although I can see that this is a weak
spot that was fixed in the slightly later engines.
Thank you,
John Ingram
83 240D 234K