I have ridden in a few Pintos starting in the early 1980’s. The first one was
my sister’s then boyfriend’s 1972 runabout with a manual transmission. It was a
good first car for him. Not long afterward, my dad got the Pinto bug and found
a 1974 Pinto Wagon with no engine. The plan was to put a 1962 Ford Galaxy 260
V8 engine into it, but he couldn’t obtain a title. He then found a 1972 Pinto
wagon 2.0l automatic with a wrecked front end. The now parts car had everything
needed to restore the wreck to family car status. My two older sisters had
moved out, so the much larger 1975 Grand Torino wagon was sold off for some
extra money and replaced by the fuel sipping Pinto. Mom didn’t really care to
drive my youngest sister and I around in a brown and wood panel Pinto wagon
with a blue front end, but she did it for well over a year until Dad found his
next car, a 1971 Buick boat tail Riviera. Nearly 20 years later in around 2000,
Dad got the Pinto bug once again and found a 1978 Pinto wagon, orange with a
primer front end. After test driving it, Mom asked “you aren’t going to buy
that ugly thing, are you?” $200 later, Dad and I were rolling down the road in
the old Pinto. After  Dad replaced the timing belt and I installed the new cat
converter, it ran even better! Then, about a year later, he found a $500, much
better looking 1979 Bobcat. We put new ball joints  and suspension bushings on
it and bombed it around until the next one popped up, a 1980 Pinto Wagon with
80K original miles! All of these were the later 2.3L engines with manual
transmissions. It was the nicest of all of them. My guide dog, Joel didn’t like
getting into these old Pintos, and he would slide around in the back no matter
what kind of mats we tried. Then, we found a much more suitable vehicle, a 1987
Voyager van. Joel had the back seat all to himself, but he wasn’t truly
comfortable until I took the leap and purchased our first Diesel Mercedes, a
1978 300D. He would lie on the back seat with his head facing the passenger
rear door, and he would rest his chin on the door armrest and go to sleep with
his nose poking forward between the door panel and the grab handle. I wish he
would have made his automotive tastes known much sooner!!!

Sent from my iPhone