Did you need a different controller for pencil plugs or could you just rewire
them?

When I bought Dwight's '78 240D it had been cleverly converted to pencil plugs
by installing pencil plugs and adding a button on the dash that triggered a
Ford starter solenoid. Unfortunately whoever had wired it still series wired
the plugs and with only 10ga wire I don't think the forward most one was
heating up much. Used to have to hold the button for 30-40 seconds for good
starting.

I made new wires from the relay to each plug, still in 10ga and a heavy, iirc
6ga wire from the relay to the battery. After that one melted on the exhaust
manifold and made an exciting show of sparks I added an inline fuse too, well
after I replaced the wire.

Went from 30-40 seconds of preheat required to 10-15...

-Curt

On Tuesday, February 6, 2024 at 10:09:23 PM EST, Craig via Mercedes