The primer pump is there to prime the filter, but it won't hurt to fill the canister, either.

It takes a long time with that tiny pump -- and if it is the old slyle, it is likely to start leaking when you operate it from dead rubber or leather parts. Replace with the "thumb" style (sealed) as soon as possible, they are inexpensive.

Change the filter with the engine hot, it starts easire.

Cranking will run the battery flat at least once, before it starts, don't do that.

Peter