Brian-  I'll try that.  So, if it were working properly would I have
to pull up on the shifter to get into reverse?

Yeah, unless the mechanism is worn (as you suspect).  Or is it push
down?  I think the 4-sp and 5-sp trannies differ in this area.  Once
I'd gone through the Frankenheap's shifter everything started working
a lot better.  With the slop in the bushing repaired the necessary
actions got a lot crisper.  (Heap had a nasty twist in the knob because
one side of the shaft was unpinned in the plastic bushing.  Really
unpleasant to use.)

Where is the "worn plastic bushing" and how do I get at it and fix it?

It's socketed in the top of the shifter mechanism, where the shaft
holding the knob goes in.  I believe there is a collar that unscrews
from the top that releases the shaft/pin/bushing assembly.  Looks
like a 50-cent part that's meant to be replaced from time to time,
but isn't necessarily easy to come by!

My notes, such as they are, are in http://cathey.dogear.com/frankenheap.html
on December 14, 2005.

-- Jim