My former FIL would go hunt those things on the Eastern Shore every winter and bring a bunch of them home to cook later.  The MIL marinated them in red wine and herbs for a day or two then baked them in the oven.  They were always dry and tough and chewy and didn't have a good flavor to my tastes.  He gave us some at different times and I kinda learned to cook them, marinated the same way but then put them in the oven low and slow and they sorta tenderized to where they were tolerable, but the taste was still nothing particularly likeable.  I tried some on the smoke once for about 6-8hr and it was like a shoe sole.

--FT