So I went back to the U-Pull after breakfast and got the horn bar, the
heater water valve and auxiliary pump, and the trunk lock actuator (to
replace my spare that got used in the SDL), all for $6.50, not bad.
(The plastic fasteners for the headlights are a no charge item.)
There was nothing left of the 190E's cooling system, so no spare fan
switch for me.  I nosed about a bit and found that the 123 they have
has a trailer hitch, or at least part of one.  The trunk was locked
and unmolested, so I was unable to check it for toolkits, or anything
else interesting like the interior component of the trailer hitch.
When I came out there was a Slavic guy standing by my Frankenheap, he
asked me if I wanted to sell it.  Sorry, no!

Once back I resumed charging the AC.  I also replaced two plastic
headlight mounts, and a missing bolt on the horn support.  While I was
in the area I checked out the auxiliary coolant pump and found it
siezed, though the one I bought at the U-Pull is not.  I'll be able to
swap these if I want to, but for now I just unplugged the siezed one.
(It's open-circuit, so it may have burned out after siezure.)  After a
bunch of fooling with it, I was only getting vent temperatures of
about 65oF, even with a water spray on the condensor.  (The spray did
seriously lower the high-side pressures and temperatures, but had at
best moderate effect on the vent temperatures.  Watching the water
evaporate off the condensor's coils I could see that the front and
back serpentine were about equally hot, so the smashing didn't occlude
the front pipe, and the tops of the serpentines were hotter than the
bottoms.)  The high-side pressures and temperatures were a bit on the
high side, and the low-side pressure was perhaps a bit low, though the
temperature at the low-side fitting was not, and it matched (more or
less) that of the vent air.  The auxiliary fan came on periodically
during this, if either the AC or engine temperature got too high.
Adding more propane really didn't result in any improvement, so I
stopped doing that.  I decided to take a test drive, just to see how
it all worked together.  Windows all open, no air recirculation.

After a few miles down the road things stabilized at a 59oF vent
temperature, with about an 85oF outside temperature according to the
instrument cluster's readout.  (It might read a bit low.)  Engine
temperatures climbed to a little over 100oC, not unusual for one of
these with the AC on.  (And especially as I don't believe the main fan
clutch is working.  The auxiliary fan does come on periodically,
depending on how fast I was driving.)  When I turned off the AC,
engine temperatures dropped to nominal, and the vent temperature rose
quickly to 95oF.  I think the heater valve must be leaking a bit, if
there's a 10oF air temperature rise through the venting system.
Regardless, it looks like the AC is accomplishing about a 35oF delta,
which is not bad.  Though 59oF vent temperatures aren't that
impressive, it is just about according to spec (see the chart on
83.11-035/3 of the 201 service manual), so maybe I don't get to
complain too much.

Because of the front end smashing this car experienced (or perhaps
not) I can't get the main fan off without removing the radiator,
there's simply no clearance between the fan and the radiator.  That
will slow down anything I might do there.  If I do have to remove the
radiator that will be the time to dig into the auxiliary heating pump
and the water shutoff valve.  And why not then do a cooling system
flush and acid flush?  And new coolant...  At that point in time I
might as well consider replacing the condensor with the non-smashed
one I got at the U-Pull.  I'm not sure if/when I will do this.  It
would be an excellent time to experiment with refilling the fan clutch
with silicone oil, but access is so poor that you would not want to
guess wrong about the amount of oil to put in.  The U-Pull's 190E fan
clutch was still there, but it was missing the bimetallic strip on the
front, so it's not complete.  Not worth the price to get it for
experimentation, as fan clutches are one of the things the U-Pull
charges a fair amount of money for.

The car drove well during this test drive, though I'm still pretty
sure that the engine is less torque-y than the 200D's.  It might have
a tiny bit of wander in the steering, felt like possibly a toe-in
problem.  It certainly wouldn't surprise me considering the state I
found the front end in!

-- Jim