Perhaps it's because the "wings" in those days were pretty rudimentary...are you sure it wasn't longer than 20 years ago? CANAM was wicked racing! Like the last time I was at Mosport without being on the track. Open cockpit Ferrari 303( ? ) doing 200 mph up the back straight....SWEET! This was 7 years ago and I was the guest of Ferrari and in the paddock! WOOHOO!!

The science of ground effect and aerodynamics is VERY REAL and has MUCH more to do with the racing now than ever before.....as I said earlier, these guy are pulling MASSIVE G's that you could never do otherwise.

In fact, that may have even been before they figured out what Ground Effect was.....hmmmm....

Don't worry, driver skill still rules above all else, it's just a smaller piece of the pie but important nonetheless. I read an article recently that said the techno boffins in F1 could easily make a car that could drive itself round the track and possibly better than any driver....but who'd want to watch?

Jeff Zedic
Toronto